Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education
Manatee Memorial Hospital offers three American Osteopathic Association (AOA)-approved osteopathic graduate medical education (OGME) programs encompassing the total healthcare for the individual and the individual's family. All three programs are currently undergoing changes to obtain accreditation under ACGME to be fully compliant with the upcoming Single Accreditation System for Graduate Medical Education. The graduate medical education (GME) programs are currently approved for 36 Internal Medicine positions, 12 Family Medicine positions and 20 Traditional Rotating Internship positions. Manatee Memorial Hospital is a 319-bed hospital located on the Manatee River and offers diverse and challenging opportunities for patient care experiences.
Manatee Memorial Hospital is one of three hospitals in Florida that is owned and operated by a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS).
Manatee Memorial Hospital currently has programs in:
All internship and residency programs are approved by the AOA Division of Postdoctoral Training and meet the requirements for specialty board certification. Applicants are selected on the basis of academic performance and personal qualifications, regardless of race, gender, religion or national origin.
The interns and residents enjoy a newly established GME working space. A personal conference room is used to induce a more intimate learning environment for conferences and teaching rounds. Residents are provided their own lounge space in close proximity to resident-only call rooms and computers. An additional classroom and computer working space is located in a private section of the hospital. Manatee Memorial Hospital GME teaching faculty have also begun introducing audience response systems into didactic conferences, as well as introducing online library and teaching modules, to assist in the learning process. All learning takes place in a climate that offers year round outdoor activities: golf, tennis, biking, hiking, climbing, boating, fishing, water skiing, beaches and more. Sarasota, St. Petersburg and Tampa, which are all within 30-45 minutes from Manatee Memorial Hospital, are known for their arts and culture scenes, nightlife, music, shows and world-class restaurants. The lack of a state income tax in Florida and the rapid growth in our area creates excellent opportunities for new physician practices.
Manatee Memorial Hospital's OGME Residency Program offers a wide variety of learning opportunities through the comprehensive level of medical care provided.
- 14,702+ Admissions in 2015
- 75,516+ Emergency Room visits in 2015
- 1,866 Babies delivered in 2015
- 8,793+ Surgeries performed in 2015
- 3,882+Cath/Special Proc/Endo/Litho in 2015
The medical staff is represented by more than 50 specialties and subspecialties. Some of the specialty programs offered at Manatee Memorial Hospital are:
- Certified Stroke Center (Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award)
- Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI and Resuscitation, (committed to Door 2 Balloon in 90 minutes or less)
- Manatee Heart and Vascular Center
- Advanced cardiovascular services, including open heart surgery, cardiac catheterizations, peripheral vascular studies and pacemaker and defibrillator implants
- Advanced neurological services including interventional radiology procedures
- Comprehensive maternity services
- Wound Care and Hyperbaric Treatment Program
- Other surgical specialties including, cardiovascular, endoscopic, gastrointestinal, general, gynecology, orthopedic, podiatric and urology.
The didactic program includes:
- Morning Report
- Journal Club
- Tumor Board
- EKG Conference
- Noon Lecture
- Medicine Board Review
- Critical Care Series
- Medicine team work rounds with Community Attendings
- Medicine team table teaching rounds with Core Teaching Faculty
- OMM Lectures & Workshops
- Simulation Lab
- Bedside Ultrasound Training
- PS/QI council
Manatee Memorial Hospital GME offers the following clinics on and off campus:
Internal Medicine residents currently attend the on-site clinic. This experience is coupled with PEAC Internal Medicine curriculum to enhance the resident learning experience.
Family Medicine residents currently attend clinics off-site which allows for more personal teaching time and experiences as to what it takes to be a capable Family Medicine physician.