MMH Graduate Medical Education
Manatee Memorial Hospital offers three graduate medical education programs encompassing the total healthcare for the individual and the individual's family. The hospital has recently received accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) for both the Institution and Internal Medicine program. The Family Medicine program is currently accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and is undergoing changes to obtain ACGME accreditation to be fully compliant with the upcoming Single Accreditation System for Graduate Medical Education (GME). The Pharmacy PGY1 Residency Program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) The GME programs are currently approved for 40 Internal Medicine positions, 12 Family Medicine positions and 2 Pharmacy positions. Applicants are selected on the basis of academic performance and personal qualifications, regardless of race, gender, religion or national origin. Manatee Memorial Hospital is an acute care hospital located in Bradenton, Florida on the Manatee River and offers diverse and challenging opportunities for patient care experiences.
Manatee Memorial Hospital is one of three hospitals in Florida that is owned and operated by a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS).
Manatee Memorial Hospital currently has programs in:
The residents enjoy a newly established GME working space. A personal conference room is used to induce a more intimate learning environment for conferences and teaching rounds. Residents are provided their own lounge space in close proximity to resident-only call rooms and computers. An additional classroom and computer working space is located in a private section of the hospital. Manatee Memorial Hospital GME teaching faculty have also begun introducing audience response systems into didactic conferences, as well as introducing online library and teaching modules, to assist in the learning process. All learning takes place in a climate that offers year round outdoor activities: golf, tennis, biking, hiking, climbing, boating, fishing, water skiing, beaches and more. Sarasota, St. Petersburg and Tampa, which are all within 30-45 minutes from Manatee Memorial Hospital, are known for their arts and culture scenes, nightlife, music, shows and world-class restaurants. The lack of a state income tax in Florida and the rapid growth in our area creates excellent opportunities for new physician practices.
Manatee Memorial Hospital's Residency Program offers a wide variety of learning opportunities through the comprehensive level of medical care provided.
- 16,580 Admissions in 2017
- 80,411 Emergency room visits in 2017
- 1,852 Babies delivered in 2017
- 7,788 Surgeries performed in 2017
- 6,422 Cath/Special Proc/Endo/Litho in 2017
The medical staff is represented by more than 50 specialties and subspecialties. Some of the specialty programs offered at Manatee Memorial Hospital are:
- Certified Stroke Center (Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award)
- Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI and Resuscitation, (committed to Door 2 Balloon in 90 minutes or less)
- Manatee Heart and Vascular Center
- Advanced cardiovascular services, including open heart surgery, cardiac catheterizations, peripheral vascular studies and pacemaker and defibrillator implants
- Advanced neurological services including interventional radiology procedures
- Comprehensive maternity services
- Wound Care and Hyperbaric Treatment Program
- Other surgical specialties including, cardiovascular, endoscopic, gastrointestinal, general, gynecology, orthopedic, podiatric and urology.
The didactic program includes:
- Morning/Resident Report
- Journal Club
- Tumor Board
- EKG Conference
- Noon Lecture
- Medicine Board Review
- Critical Care Series
- Medicine team work rounds with Community Attendings
- OMM Lectures & Workshops
- Simulation Lab
- Bedside Ultrasound Training
- PS/QI council
Manatee Memorial Hospital GME offers the following clinics on and off campus:
Internal Medicine residents currently attend the on-site clinic. This experience is coupled with PEAC Internal Medicine curriculum to enhance the resident learning experience.
Family Medicine residents currently attend clinics off-site which allows for more personal teaching time and experiences as to what it takes to be a capable Family Medicine physician.