Emergency Care in Bradenton
If you’re having a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room.
The Emergency Care Center at Manatee Memorial Hospital
206 Second Street East
Bradenton, FL 34208
Manatee Memorial Hospital's Emergency Care Center (ECC) plays an essential role in caring for the urgent health needs of our community, treating more than 80,000 children and adult patients each year. We opened a new Emergency Care Center in 2018 to help accommodate Manatee County's growing population. The center is just under 33,000 square feet, making it the largest and newest Emergency Care Center in the county.
What to Expect When Arriving for Care
Sudden illness or injury can occur without warning, and while no one typically plans a trip to the ECC, everyone should know what to expect after they arrive.
Heart Attack Care
Manatee Memorial Hospital is proud to be an Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI and Resuscitation by the American College of Cardiology and to have received the Mission: Lifeline Gold Receiving Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association for the fifth year in a row.
The faster a heart attack patient receives artery-clearing intervention, the better their chance of survival and recovery. The ECC coordinates with Manatee County EMS to speed assessment and intervention. The ECC staff is alerted by radio and ready to act quickly when the patient arrives.
Emergency intervention for heart attacks is coordinated with cardiologists, radiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons. Manatee Memorial has been reported to have one of the country's lowest mortality rates for heart attacks, and the providers are known for their success in this area.
Depending on the type and severity of the heart attack, the cardiac team takes patients from the ECC directly to a catheterization lab to administer treatments to clear blocked arteries and restore blood and oxygen flow to damaged heart tissue. A cardiac team and fully-equipped cardiac catheterization suite is available 24 hours a day. Patients are rapidly evaluated and a course of treatment is begun.
With fast, team-based stroke services, the Stroke and Cerebrovascular Center at Manatee Memorial offers a rapid-response Stroke Alert Team in the ECC to evaluate and treat all stroke emergencies, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We have the first Interventional Radiology Suite with biplane imaging in Manatee County, which enables us to perform mechanical thrombectomies for acute strokes.
Manatee Memorial Hospital has been awarded the Advanced Primary Stroke Center of Excellence by the Joint Commission each year since 2006, and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get With the Guidelines®–Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award 11 years in a row. In addition, the hospital has received the Target: StrokeSM Elite Honor Roll Award for the third year. Our team-based approach enables streamlined treatment and services. Recent clinical studies have shown that a team approach improves patient outcomes.
Comprehensive Emergency Care
A team of providers, nurses and staff work in cooperation with other specialists to provide efficient, quality treatment for a number of complex problems, injuries and sudden illnesses, including:
- Heart attacks
- Falls, motor vehicle accidents, fractures, sprains and asthma
- Acute back pain
- Lacerations, crush injuries and abrasions
- Acute abdominal pain
- Acute eye conditions
- Common infections such as pneumonia, kidney and skin infections
- Problems associated with diabetes, obstructive lung disease and heart disease, and chronic medical problems
Special Features of The Emergency Care Center
The Emergency Care Center features:
- Two separate treatment areas that keep patients moving forward with their care: one is for patients who need more acute intensive care, and the other is for patients with less critical conditions and minor illnesses.
- Design enhancements that create a peaceful environment conducive to healing. Sound reduction elements help to diminish noise, and staff use mobile phones for communication instead of overhead paging. Options to dim or turn off the lights are also available so patients can rest comfortably.
- Parking enhancements including designated and convenient parking spots in the tower parking area and a free valet parking service, which provides a second option for patients during high-volume times.
Watch this video to learn more about the Emergency Care Center:
Patient Story: Tony Rogers
Tony had chest pain that would not go away. He trusted Manatee Memorial Hospital with his life.
Patient Story: David Spencer
David had a total heart block. He was impressed by the staff at Manatee Memorial Hospital.