sleeve gastrectomy and Lap Band Surgery
The decision to have weight-loss surgery is a big step for many obese people. Many have struggled with weight loss for years, losing weight, gaining it back and then starting the cycle all over again. For those people, weight-loss surgery may provide the tool to help with long-term weight loss.
If you are considering weight-loss surgery, Manatee Memorial Hospital offers options including the Laparoscopic Gastric Procedure and Lap-Band® Surgery.
What is Sleeve Gastrectomy?
The Sleeve procedure begins with the surgeon creating a small stomach sleeve using a stapling device. Then two-thirds of the stomach is removed. The procedure usually results in shorter hospital stays, faster recoveries, smaller scars and less pain.
What is Lap-Band® Surgery?
The Lap-Band® system places an adjustable silicon band at the top of the upper stomach, creating a small pouch. The band limits food consumption without disrupting the normal digestive process.
Are these surgeries right for you?
To qualify for minimally-invasive weight-loss surgery:
- Be approximately 100 lbs. overweight or have a body mass index (BMI) of more than 40 (you may also qualify if your BMI is between 30 and 35 or if you have associated comorbid conditions such as cardiopulmonary problems, severe sleep apnea, heart disease or diabetes)
- Be between 18–63 years of age
- Have been unsuccessful with other weight-loss efforts, including medically-supervised diet plans
- Be willing to undergo preoperative testing
- Be willing to undergo psychological evaluation
- Attend a seminar and support group, and meet others who have had the Lap-Band surgical procedure
- Be willing to make lifestyle changes to ensure your success
What About Weight-Loss?
Weight-loss surgery has given many patients a new lease on life. The amount of weight you lose will depend on your commitment to making healthy choices and some lifestyle changes. New eating habits, regular exercise and monitoring your weight loss are key.
Are There Risks and Side Effects?
Just as with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks with weight-loss surgery. The Laparoscopic Gastric Procedure and the Lap-Band surgical procedure utilizes minimally-invasive techniques, so they have fewer risks than conventional surgery, and most patients experience a faster recovery time than in open procedures. Many patients who undergo The Laparoscopic Gastric Procedure and the Lap-Band surgical procedure go home the same day, and most return to work within a week or less!
Please contact us at (941) 745-7545 for additional information on the Laparoscopic Gastric Procedure and Lap-Band® Surgery.
Individual results may vary. There are risks associated with any surgical procedure. Talk with your doctor about these risks to find out if bariatric surgery is right for you.