Caring... Highly-Skilled... The Emergency Department at Manatee Memorial
The Emergency Department at Manatee Memorial Hospital plays an essential role in caring for the urgent health needs of the metropolitan area, treating more than 65,000 children and adult patients each year.
A team of physicians, nurses and staff work in cooperation with other in-house specialists to provide efficient, quality treatment as follows:
Advanced Emergency Medicine provided at Manatee Memorial Hospital includes:
- Early intervention for heart attacks
- Early intervention for strokes
- Treatment of: falls, motor vehicle accidents, fractures, sprains and asthma management
- Management of acute back pain
- Expertise in lacerations, crush injuries and abrasions
- Treatment of migraines
- Evaluation and management of acute abdominal pain
- Acute eye conditions
- Treatment for common infections: pneumonia, kidney and skin infections
- Treatment of problems associated with diabetes, obstructive lung disease, heart disease and chronic medical problems
The faster a heart attack patient receives artery-clearing intervention, the better the chance of survival and recovery. Emergency coordinates with Manatee County EMS to speed assessment and intervention. The Emergency Department (ED) staff is alerted by radio and ready to act quickly when the patient arrives.
Emergency intervention for heart attacks is coordinated with cardiologists, radiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons. Manatee Memorial has been reported to have one of the country's lowest mortality rates for heart attacks, and the physicians are known for their success in this area.
Time is critical for anyone experiencing the symptoms of a heart attack. Waiting too long before going to the emergency department may increase the amount of heart damage. Seeking immediate treatment can make a significant difference in the quality of life after recovery.
Depending on the type and severity of the heart attack, the cardiac team takes patients from the emergency department directly to a catheterization lab to administer treatments to clear blocked arteries and restore blood and oxygen flow to damaged heart tissue. At Manatee Memorial Hospital, a cardiac team and fully-equipped cardiac catheterization suite is available 24 hours a day. Patients are rapidly evaluated and a course of treatment is begun.