Graduate Medical Education
Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education
Manatee Memorial Hospital offers AOA-approved osteopathic graduate medical education programs encompassing the total healthcare for the individual and the individual's family. The GME programs are currently approved for 18 Internal Medicine positions, 12 Family Medicine positions and 18 Traditional Rotating Internship positions. Manatee Memorial Hospital is a 319-bed hospital located on the Manatee River and offers diverse and challenging opportunities for patient care experiences.
Partnering with Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), the programs offer the advantages of a large healthcare delivery system and a vibrant academic setting. The program is led by Larry Wickless, DO, Acting Director of Medical Education.
Manatee Memorial Hospital is one of three hospitals in Florida that is owned and operated by a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS).
The hospital also serves as a primary rotation site for medical students from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Bradenton campus located approximately 11 miles east of Manatee Memorial Hospital.
All internship and residency programs are approved by the American Osteopathic Association Division of Postdoctoral Training. Residency programs meet the requirements for specialty board certification. Applicants are selected on the basis of academic performance and personal qualifications, regardless of race, gender, color, religion or national origin.
The interns and residents enjoy the Graduate Medical Education classroom and a large auditorium with the latest electronics to assist in learning, a lounge, libraries and call rooms.
All learning takes place in a climate that offers year round outdoor activities: golf, tennis, biking, hiking, climbing, boating, fishing, water skiing, beaches and more. There is the notable nightlife, music, shows and world-class restaurants. There is no state income tax in Florida and the rapid growth in our area creates excellent opportunities for new physician practices.
Manatee Memorial Hospital's OGME Residency Program offers a wide variety of learning opportunities through the comprehensive level of medical care provided.
- 16,961+ Admissions in 2012
- 67,500+ Emergency Room visits in 2012
- 2,170 Babies delivered in 2012
- 6,440+ Surgeries performed in 2012
The medical staff is represented by more than 50 specialties and subspecialties. Some of the specialty programs offered at Manatee Memorial Hospital are:
- Certified Stroke Center (Get With The Guidelines Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award)
- Chest Pain Center accredited with PCI (committed to Door 2 Balloon in 90 minutes or less)
- Manatee Heart and Vascular Center
- Advanced cardiovascular services, including open heart surgery, cardiac catheterizations, peripheral vascular studies and pacemaker and defibrillator implants
- Advanced neurological services including interventional radiology procedures
- Comprehensive maternity services
- Wound Healing Center and Hyperbaric Chamber
- Other surgical specialties including bariatric, cardiovascular, endoscopic, gastrointestinal, general, gynecology, laparoscopic, orthopedic, plastic, podiatric and urology.
The didactic program includes:
- Morning Report
- Tumor Board
- Journal Club
- Medicine Board Review
- Grand Rounds
- OMM Lectures & Workshops
- Daily Noon Lecture
- Critical Care Series
- EKG Conference
- Business of Medicine Series
- Basic Science Series
- Program-specific didactics
Manatee Memorial Hospital GME offers the following clinics on and off campus:
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Critical Care/Pulmonary
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Sports Medicine
This list is not all-inclusive and subject to change.
When you need to find a doctor for yourself or your family, our FREE Direct Doctors Plus physician referral service can help.
Search Our Physician Directory Below